Amazon Simple Storage Service(Amazon S3) is the storage for the internet. It is used to make the web-scale operations faster, easier and scalable. It can be used to store and retrieve any amount of data from anytime and anywhere on the internet.
Amazon S3 Features
- Create buckets – It acts like a container in Amazon S3 that stores data.
- Store data in buckets – You can store an infinite amount of data in a bucket and as many objects where each object can contain upto 5TB of data.
- Download data – You can download data from your bucket and also enable others to do so.
- Set permissions – You can set out permissions for the users that who can upload or download data from bucket or access the bucket.
Amazon S3 Pricing
As amazon S3 is a part of free usage tier so you can get started with Amazon S3 for free. On sign-up to AWS Management Console, you will get 5GB of free standard storage, 20,000 GET requests, 2,000 PUT requests and 15GB of data transfer out each month for 1 year. After 5GB of free storage it will charge you some minimal standard cost for the data you stored on your S3.
Follow the steps to create a bucket:
- Sign-in to AWS Management Console and click S3 from the console.
- Click Create Bucket from the top-left corner.
- Create a Bucket dialog box will appear, then in the Bucket Name box, enter a bucket name.
Note: The bucket name you are choosing should be in lower-case and unique from all the existing bucket names in Amazon S3. Any region can be selected but I am choosing Oregon because it has minimal costs. Once the bucket is created, you can not change the bucket name then it will be visible in the URL that points to objects stored in the bucket.
- Click Create.
- When Amazon S3 creates your bucket, it will show your bucket in the Buckets panel.
You have successfully created a bucket in AWS S3.